On Activities of the Public Inspection for Matters Concerning the Disabled in Moscow
Based on results of the meeting with public organizations of disabled people in October 2010 Mayor of Moscow S.S.Sobyanin instructed to found in the city the Public inspection for matters concerning the disabled in Moscow (hereinafter – Inspection).
In connection with innovative type of work, the Department of Social Protection of Population of the city of Moscow determined the stages and terms of this project realization, the independent nonprofit organization (Charitable foundation for social support of citizens “Sointegratsia”), on the basis of which the Inspection has been created, was selected.
In order to enable the Inspection activities, the following actions were operatively taken:
- The basic normative documents regulating the Inspection work (concept of the Inspection creation; the provision determining the procedure of work and interaction of the given structure with the organizations performing expert and control functions in this sphere; criteria of public inspectors’ selection etc.) were developed;
- Organizational and technological tools of the Inspection work and public inspectors’ interaction with numerous interested organizations were created;
- Among muscovites (disabled persons, their relatives, representatives of professional community, students) the public inspectors (for the moment, the Inspection comprises 32 persons, including – 12 disabled persons of different categories, 3 – members of their families) were selected and trained.
The project concept was elaborated on the basis of studying the applicable foreign and Russian legal acts, methodical and other materials which regulate the matters of organization of public expert review in the social sphere, the control over formation of a barrierless living environment (more than 50 sources). Its basis includes the experience of Berlin, which delegates public control and expert evaluation powers concerning the matters of creation of a barrierless urban environment to the specially trained persons, including from among the disabled and handicapped citizens working in nonprofit organization (“Mobidat”) with financing of their activities from the city budget.
Thus, it should be noted, that up to date in the legislative and law-enforcement practices of the Russian Federation there are no any special tools of public control in the matters of formation of a barrierless living environment. This sphere is limited to the participation of the disabled and their public organizations in the work of consultative and advisory bodies being attached to the public authorities, in target inspections of available and new facilities of the urban infrastructure, expert evaluation of design solutions, and also through the obligatory coordination with public organizations of the disabled of all normative legal act drafts affecting their interests. The institute of the authorized representatives (ombudsmen) attached to the government bodies or to high ranking officials of the government bodies acts as the basic associated institute of the control over observance of the rights of citizens, including in separate spheres and fields of activities both at the federal and regional levels.
The Inspection activities are based on the principles of the private and state partnership and introduction of the institute of independent expert evaluation of urban infrastructure facilities for their availability for people with limited mobility.
The basic criteria of the public inspectors selection were: experience of profile activities; personal or public representation (the priority was given to the representatives of the disabled persons and their public organizations); presence of motivation and readiness to pass training and master new special knowledge and skills, and also to perform profile expert activities; communicative skills and capabilities; permanent residence in Moscow.
The contracts on compensated rendering of services with all inspectors were made and the relevant certificates were given.
The Inspection work is based on administrative – territorial characteristic in two activity lines:
- Participation in selective commission inspections on requests of the authorities (in 2010 – 97 facilities, in 2011 – 491 facilities, in 2012 – 297 facilities; in 2013 – 199 facilities and in 2014 – 387 facilities);
- Carrying out of initiative checks by inspectors of available infrastructure facilities in the territory assigned to them (in 2010 – 0 facilities; in 2011 – 124 facilities; in 2012 – 1311 facilities; in 2013 – 2692 facilities and in 2014 – 1501 facilities).
Also, the inspection receives the appeals of citizens on necessity of carrying out of inspections concerning specific addresses, so in 2012 it received 79 appeals, in 2013 – 44 appeals, over the period of 9 months of 2014 – 24 appeals.
The analyses of situations related to all received appeals were carried out by the administrative group of the Inspection and public inspectors, if necessary with on-site check, the information was sent to the respective instances, the recommendations concerning the solution of the questions raised were given. Personal appeals of the disabled persons were associated with inaccessibility of facilities at place of their residence.
The Inspection work report is submitted quarterly to Mayor of Moscow S.S.Sobyanin and to Department of Social Protection of Population of the city of Moscow.
The main, typical disadvantages being detected by the Inspection are:
- Poor quality of works on the city adaptation for the disabled, non-observance of technology of their carrying out, especially when arranging pedestrian and transport infrastructure (for example, when laying tactile surfaces on pedestrian crossings);
- Ignoring by customers and builders and, accordingly, non-observance of the established requirements of the current legislation when arranging the indoor spaces of public buildings (especially entrance groups, movement routes, bathrooms);
- Absence of motivation in proprietors (operators of property) to take adaptation measures within the framework of realization of scheduled repair and construction works, in view of misunderstanding the problems of the disabled persons and ignorance of up-to-date approaches to town-planning on the principles of “universal design».
The Inspection work in the test mode is planned to be continued in the current and following years. Then, the proposals on improvement of the federal and Moscow legislation for normative consolidation of this innovative tool will be prepared.